Wednesday 1 August 2007

Writers Museum July 25















On this last day before our Mini-break begins we had the opportunity to tour the Writers' Museum. Not a formal tour, so we were allowed to browse around on our own. The museum is housed in "Lady Stair's House" which was built in 1622. The museum's collections are mostly dedicated to three of Scotland's most famous writers, Robert Burns, Sir Walter Scott and Robert Louis Stevenson including photos, manuscripts, letters and personal belongings such as Burns writing desk. In the courtyard surrounding the building are engraved writings from prominent Scottish writers. Also, on this occasion the museum was hosting a special exhibit on Scottish contemporary author Ian Rankin.






My Impressions



I enjoyed my time in the museum. It is rather small and quaint which made for a relaxing walk through. I haven't read much from these authors but I really liked reading from Stevenson's "Treasure Island" when I was younger so I was drawn more to his story than the others. I found a particular quote from Stevenson hit home with me, it is apparently from his book "Travels with a Donkey" which prompted me to buy the book. I won't give the exact quote but in it he refers to "travel for the sake of travel". I was also prompted to buy one of Ian Rankin's books in his "Inspector Rebus" series. I haven't read any of his books, but I have seen the British series on PBS. I think I'll save it for the plane ride home. All in all a good last class visit before we all head off for our mini-breaks. I'll be heading off to Ireland : ).

No comments: